Are you a Texas parents who divorced? Custody arrangements were likely among the first thing you worked out. You may have made arrangements on your own through an amicable divorce. You may have relied on the court to decide things for you. 

Regardless of how you got to your decision, know that life circumstances may change. Arrangements that once benefited you may stop being beneficial in time. When that time comes, you may want to consider requesting child custody modifications. 

The absence of a parent 

VeryWell Family looks at reasons to request modifications to child custody arrangements. After all, you cannot change your order for any reason. For example, the absence of a spouse is one common reason. Absence can come in the form of: 

  • The incarceration of a parent 
  • The death of a parent 
  • The relocation of a parent due to military status 
  • A parent choosing to move 

Also, if a parent is not following custody guidelines, you can request a modification. But the court will want to see proof that you attempted to work things out with your ex-spouse first. 

The endangerment of a child 

Another popular reason for modification is if your child’s safety is in jeopardy. Have they talked about wanting to leave or stay away from your ex-spouse’s home? Does your ex-spouse or anyone in their home struggle with domestic violence? If your child is in immediate danger, the court may change custody orders to keep them out of harm’s way. 

If you believe you have a reason to request child custody changes, discuss the possibility. Then, make the request and see what the courts will say.